Sunday 3 July 2011

It's over.

Today we finally got home after 24 hours stuck in Jo'berg. In some ways I'm glad to be home, see family and friends, but in others I miss the new friends and connections I have made throughout this unbelievable experience.
I have seen poverty at an all time low and helped create something magical for an amazing family and one hell of an inspirational woman, a place they can now call home. I have seen how one groups thoughts an ideas can expand and create a safe, carefree environment for amazing kids who deserve nothing but happiness. I have seen fantastic animals in their own environment, unharmed and free. Lastly, I have seen a learning environment that was so old and run down the spark and life within the rooms had disappeared. I have seen that building progress and transform into a safe, clean and happy environment, that children can be proud to learn in and call their school.

All this has happened to me and 12 other brilliant people in just 2 weeks.

In this world day in and day out we are so lucky and privileged we hardly notice and appreciate it. This experience has provided me with a whole new perspective. Thank you NCHA for this amazing once in a lifetime opportunity, thank you Sam, Matt, Alex and Shaun for helping us along this journey and thank you Habitat for Humanity. I hope this becomes a regular thing and can give other people the same amazing feeling i have felt throughout the entirety of this trip.

We made a difference.

WELL DONE EVERYONE!
xxxxx

1 comment:

  1. Such a joy to read your accounts of your journey. Awe inspiring stuff; that will of course stay with you forever. While being very proud of Sam as his Mum; I am so impressed and have much respect for you guys too. I want to thank all of you too for helping make the trip such an amazing experience for Sam. He talks of the camaraderie the dynamic that made it even more special.
    As for those friends you've made and helped along the way how special is that! Can't wait to see all the pictures.....if you're ever in Southampton please come and talk to my Elders about this as I would tell them everyday about you all and Sam will do the same when he comes in August! So, they'll know who you are and they're just as full of admiration....bless ya'll x

    ReplyDelete